Chasing down a red backpack

December 2, 2018


We are running early for church. We NEVER run early. I should have known right then that God was up to something. We gathered our stuff and loaded up the minivan. We decided to stop at our bank before church to make a deposit in the ATM. 
That's when I saw him. I was driving towards Great Bridge and he was walking away on the other side. A quick look to the rear view mirror, red back pack. A guy in dirty winter wear , walking in the rain with a red back pack. 

Inside my head, I heard the still small voice. Turn around and see what he needs. No, I thought, I need to head to the bank. We got to the bank and Bryan hops out to make the deposit. Here I sit in the driver's seat. Wrestling with God while Cora sits happily unaware in the back seat. God is all over me telling me to double back and find the red back pack. 
Bryan hops in the car. I tell him, we are doubling back. God wants me to go find the red back pack guy. Bryan says he did not see him. I sigh. I saw him. 

We turn out and go back down Cedar Rd. I drive 35 in a 45 praying silently that he has gone off into the town homes on the right. Nope. I look up about a mile and he is just passing a church. Guess what? God has a sense of humor. There is a safe spot to pull off and he has just arrived at it. I pull over and hit the hazards and turn to Bryan. I say, get out and ask him what he needs. He laughs and says, I thought God told YOU to do that. :) I delegate again and he asks the guy if he needs anything. 

The man is shaking, wet, looks exhausted and is the age of my oldest son. These are the ones that tear me up inside. 

Bryan hollers over his shoulder, he needs a ride to Chesapeake Square Mall. I almost say, dang we are headed to South Norfolk...totally out of the way. But Bryan beats me to it. The young man does not know where South Norfolk is. I then come up with a genius plan....or God did! 

Bryan, tell him get in front and we will drive to church. You drop me and Cora off and take him on to Chesapeake Square Mall. We have always chatted about this ...if we pick someone up. One adult stays with Cora in the back and to keep an eye on the situation. One of us is up front with the homeless person. 
I reach over and put out my hand and introduce myself, he timidly shakes my hand and tells me his name is George. I introduce him to Cora and Bryan. He will not look me in the eye. 

I hit the hazards and tell him where we are going, how long it will take and the plan. I also ask if he is hungry. He smells of alcohol and I know he is shaking and feeling like crap. He declines food. I wait a bit and I ask George, what brings you out here to Great Bridge. He replies: I was detained for drunk and disorderly conduct.  I sigh. I say well you are in good company...I have been there before. He looks straight ahead. I am thankful he told me the truth and I now know we are completely safe. Just coming fresh from jail...he has nothing on him. I am sure if he had any weapon of any kind...it was removed from his possession at intake. I then offer him my cup of coffee...I had made an extra for after church. He gets a smile on his face and says YES. He says it is good. For a minute I know I am going to miss having that second cup. Then God slaps me in the back of the head. 

He smells of sweat, stress, alcohol, dirt, and many other things. I want to turn around and take him home. I want to wash all his clothing and let him take a hot shower. But I don't want to get arrested for kidnapping. I continue to church. 
As we turn in I notice our sign...it says The Shelter. :) He is probably freaking out thinking I am dropping HIM off at a shelter. I tell him, here we are. I pull to a stop and kindly ask him to hand me our checkbook out of the door next to him. He fumbles and does what I ask. Then I open the door and tell him I hope his day gets better. He says he hopes so too. I pause. I say, May I make you a plate of food to go? We have a whole spread in there and I know you might be hungry later. He says , yes please. 

Cora and I go inside and I make him a to go plate. I run it back out to the car and he again fumbles to get the car window down. I want to hug him. But again, I don't want to push it. I hand him the container and tell him and Bryan to be careful and goodbye. 

I go in and teach the children Sunday School. The whole time thinking of George. 
Bryan arrives a bit later and tells me he dropped him off, prayed with him, he gave him some cash and that George looked like he was going to cry. Then off he went. 

We finish class and agree that a collection of items for the homeless would be great, and instead of decorating a tree in the classroom with ornaments, we will use gloves, hats, scarves and blankets. The kids like that. 

We go about our day picking up donations for the homeless and I keep thinking about George. 

We sit down at dinner later and I am thinking, he should be here eating with us now. A good hot meal and a shower would have done him good. He mentioned his Mother briefly to Bryan and as a mother myself I think what would it be like to have a boy on the streets. I am pretty sure he has an addiction to alcohol.  But he is a human. 

I am at peace with losing my wrestling match with God. I am glad to have chased down the red backpack. Bryan said when we pulled up he looked like he had been crying. Can you imagine being far from your place and walking on a public street, dirty and wet and crying. He had fresh cuts on his face and his knuckles looked like they had been dragged over bricks. I only caught his eyes once, when I handed him the food. I saw Jesus in those eyes and it broke my heart. 

The homeless are just like us. Hurt, broken and wanting love. I can only hope that George felt like a human being when we invited him into our car. He did more for my heart than we were ever able to do for him. 

God Bless George and you better believe I will be on the watch for that red backpack when I am out and about. 

Comments

  1. Amazing...the whole story! You are so brave and so considerate...you are walking as Jesus walked! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try...as you can see I wrestle minute by minute with my inner man soul!

      Delete
  2. "The homeless are just like us. Hurt, broken and wanting love. I can only hope that George felt like a human being when we invited him into our car. He did more for my heart than we were ever able to do for him."

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10, 9, 8, 7...BLASTOFF!

Bulldogs, Guinea Pigs and Courage

7- The Book Club