My Church is a washer and a dryer

UPDATED to add an Amazon Wishlist : *please be advised, I am not a non-profit. I am a person helping other persons. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk! 

 Amazon Wish List 


I've been up since 4 doing something that I love. Fluff and fold. Seriously if you don't believe me ask my friends. 

I have lived in our new city for over a year now. I have a confession to make...

I have been ignoring the homeless. I have been driving by , looking in their eyes. I have made mental notes of their location, their signs, the way they dress and walk back and forth, searching for connection. But I never stop. 

I have been taking stock of what is available in a community that has no Public Transit. I have seen one location downtown that does a type of food handout. That is it. But yet, I see them. My addressless friends popping up everywhere. Some look approachable. Some rant to themselves. All are someone's child. 

I was out enjoying a solo trip to the old Dollar Store and Thrift Store. Searching for something to fill my own brokenness when I saw him. That kid I always see. That kid that reminds me of my own son. I have a whole story in my head about this young man. God is feeling frisky today and tells me on the way home, I will stop and ask what he needs. 

I LINGER at my last stop...I don't want to make the trip home. I have to drive RIGHT past the guy. But I do. I pull in the fast food parking lot. I back in , Bryan would be proud. I watch the young man walk up and down. His eyes are steady, but sad. It's rush hour in my little town. Nothing like good ol' Chesapeake, but this is the hour to work the curb. Not one person gives him a nod or a handout. 

I sit 15 long minutes, I notice him looking at me each time he walks down the line of traffic. Now I know my God. He is hilarious. It's Jesus looking me dead in the eye, saying : " Are you gonna be a big girl and get out of the truck?" Me: " Hey Jesus, challenge accepted" . I put it off for a few more minutes and text the daughter to let her know I was last seen at this intersection in these clothes and what I am doing. She replies: "Go do It" ! 

last seen wearing pic. I also told her to crop out my cleavage if she had to share it. :) 


Well, now God speaks thru angsty teens. I spend MORE time texting my Husband, no answer, as he is working. well shit...here we go. 

I get out, put my keys in my pocket and walk straight towards him. I declare the entire intersection is watching. He turns around and looks very cautious. I get right in his space and say, Hey, my name is Tracy, what's yours?

 sorry. f the quotation marks. Just let me tell the story :) 

He says slowly and carefully , _________. There I know his damn name now! I have wanted to hear it so long! the flood gates open. I cry. In front of EVERYBODY! I am embarrassed but remember my therapist says: Let that shit out. I tell him I have been here for a year and I am very sorry for not stopping sooner. He says: it's all right. I say No, it's really not. I then do my normal Q&A. 

Where do you stay? inside/ outside? he answers. night to night hotel up the road. 

I say: I am sorry for interrupting you while traffic is busy, should we walk and talk? 

I know this is the prime time for him to get his room money and I am totally harshing his corner. He says no. I ask what do you need? 

He pauses. I say, do you need food, shelter, clothing. What do you need?  

He is bewildered. Then quietly says food. I ask like a hot meal? non perishables what...on and on we go. I offer him the night off by squaring away the room and taking him to the local grocery store. He is reluctant to walk away. But who can say no to me :) 


We shop. We get what he needs. He has a girlfriend, she is back at the room. He stops as we approach the check out. Can I get one more thing? Yes of course. I say. 

It's for my cat. you have a cat? yes. we get can food and I throw in a catnip mouse. 



I would like to mention that everyone we passed gave him an up and down look and frowned or then realized we were together. I met them square in the eye with a big old smile. They smiled back in embarrassment. I know they know who he is . This is a small town. They passed him, just like me. 


We check out and hit the road to the hotel. He literally runs up the stairs and comes back down with his cat. I am introduced to his girlfriend and his truly awesome cat. He begins to carry up his food and then comes back down. I give him the balance he needs for the room. He is again cautious about taking it. 

He asks: why did you stop? are you religious? I laugh, I say yes I am. I explain that my God has a huge sense of humor and I tell him about fighting with God in the fast food parking lot. I tell him about my friend Karen who I helped out in VA, she was floored when I told her I would fight with God. She said, you don't need that kind of trouble, he will get you! And she's right. God gets me everytime. 

I then say, that it was very nice to meet all of them, I offer my phone number on a piece of paper and say I can't do what I did today all the time. But please call if you ever need anything. I offer to do their laundry, since we talked about the cost of that etc. He shakes his head. I say. No truly. I love doing laundry. think about it. 

He says he will. 

Later , he texts me from the girlfriends cell: 

this is our number , and I just want to thank you for today. u absolutely made my day I prayed to god that today would be a good day I didn't pray for money I jus prayed for people to be nice an the day to go smooth and I got off early and got a day off thanks to u. U made a difference in my life an I just want u to know how grateful I am. There's still good people in the world thank u. 


You are right ________, there are good people in the world and you are the good people. 




Comments

  1. You are the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, thank you for your kind words! I am just beginning to get my "listening ears" :) have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for telling your beautiful story about human connection and all that it can be when we listen to our higher power and allow God to work through us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GeriLynn, thank you for reading! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oof... I've done a few of these similar such things, but it's been a while since I've been in a town with more homeless population. This is wonderful. You have a true talent for writing and for humor. You'know, it is easy for people to talk the big talk, but it is amazing to see the way God **works.**

    Looks like this is an old post... but thanks for sharing! People do look at you sooo weird for doing things like this, but hey! People is people! And everyone's got to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is an older post. It has been quite some time since I have logged. I’m mostly journal nowadays. I would love to do a podcast, but I think I need to get back to my writing as well. Thank you for your kind words.!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10, 9, 8, 7...BLASTOFF!

Bulldogs, Guinea Pigs and Courage

7- The Book Club